Don't fear there are tactics to avoid getting your gown dirty. Just make sure that you are aware of your surroundings and make sure your leading lady (maid of honor) is right there to lend a helping hand.
Here are some helpful tips for keeping your gown clean:
- Wear a deodorant that is also an antiperspirant. If you perspire a lot when you're nervous, consider having shields sewn into the underarms of your dress to prevent perspiration stains.
- Bring a towel to drape over your shoulders when touching up makeup.
- If you choose a flower with a strong-colored stamen, ask the florist if the stamens can be removed.
- A professional limousine service will make sure that their limos are clean. However, if you decide to take a friend's car, be sure to spread out a clean white sheet.
- When getting out of the limo/car, gather up your skirt to keep the hem off the ground. Do the same when walking up the stairs to avoid stepping on the hem and ripping it.
- Bring a travel iron or steamer (w/ extension cord) to quickly take out wrinkles.
- Ask the function site if they have a small white linen that you can drape over you during dinner. Have them place it under the table before the reception so that guests don't see it!
- Be sure to ask the wedding shop for the best way to clean any spills.
- After you change into your going-away outfit, you'll need something to put your wedding dress in -- bring a garment bag with you.